1. Home

R.I.P. ToyFare Magazine 1997-2011

By January 26, 2011

ToyFare Magazine

It is a sad day for action figure collectors as we witness the end of the preeminent action figure collecting magazine, ToyFare. It was announced this past Monday that the magazine, along with its sister publication, Wizard, which acted as the hub of comic book news for over 20 years, will be ceasing publication immediately.

According to a press release from Jerry Milani at Wizard World PR (as seen at Newsarama.com):

Wizard Entertainment is ceasing publication of the print magazines Wizard and ToyFare.  Wizard World, Inc. will begin production of the online publication "Wizard World" beginning in February.   We feel this will allow us to reach an even wider audience in a format that is increasingly popular and more readily accessible.

So, no more ToyFare on the newsstand, about which many people may not be too saddened. But this is one action figure collector that greatly looked forward to his monthly issue, jam-packed with pictures and news. And it appears that the online version of the magazine, encompassing all of Wizard's sub-genres will be launched soon, along with the continuation of the Wizard World conventions, but I'm still bummed about the end of the actual physical magazine. Maybe I'm just old-school that way.

Thanks to Topless Robot for the tip.

Comments

January 26, 2011 at 12:20 pm
(1) Mock! says:

Both Wizard and Toyfare filled a niche for me when I stopped collecting both comics and toys for a while. The info was always good (though slanted) and the humor juvenile (like me) but I always got a kick out of both.

January 26, 2011 at 5:44 pm
(2) Wayens says:

hey I’ll be missing the mag, it was one of my biggest mailbox joys every month. An injection of neatos and laughs.

I’ll miss it. Hope the website retains that irreverancy and fanmanship!

January 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm
(3) Colin says:

It’s never nice to say mean things at a funeral. Unless the deceased was a particular old sot.

I read Wizard pretty much from the beginning, and never missed an issue after #9. But I hung it up some years ago. While even in the early days there was always a healthy dose of juvenile humour and too much emphasis on the price guide (as misleading as it could be), both factors seemed to increase over time to the point where I found myself asking why I bothered. It was born of its time, a time where comics were the wild west of the speculator, and fueling a marketplace that ultimately hurt the industry more than it ever helped.

And throughout Wizard kept wanting to be too much of everything. Rather than simply being content to put out sharp content in a single edition, it took on cards, on toys, and more, in a variety of pale imitations of itself. The same juvenile humour. The same reliance on price guide. Until the magazine itself had nothing to talk about other than how great it was for filling the shelves with nothing of consequence.

And now Wizard, folded back to just the flagship magazine and its spawn, ToyFare, another magazine with promise that floundered on the rocky shores of its own jokes and price guides, is gone. Gone to the Internet. And gone from our shelves.

Wizard, you were so young. Like the speculators you spawned and the humour you enjoyed, you won’t be missed.

January 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm
(4) Reis says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us, Colin! You’ve clearly given both magazines a lot of attention and have really hit the nail on the head. Perhaps that’s why, in the face of the news spreading of Wizard and ToyFare’s demise, the one thing I’m not seeing much of is surprise.

I’ll miss ToyFare for some reasons, but I don’t expect it to leave too much of a void.

January 31, 2011 at 3:20 pm
(5) Bryan Larsen says:

As a person who does not now or ever have any use for “electronic media” I am very upset at the loss of TOYFARE. It was an excellent magazine and one that I looked forward to. It’s also one of the few magazines that I have subscribed to and have written to. I have no desire to visit even more web sites or download information. This is truly a dark dark day for this toy collector.

February 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm
(6) joey says:

Honestly, I just simply grew out of it

February 2, 2011 at 4:27 pm
(7) robert bruce says:

Much like the rest of you I was a 20 something toy figure a holic. I had to toy monkey on my back from the go go 1990′s til about 2002 … the ever increasing prices and selection…George Lucas greed of the sith. The ultimate Batman Superman X men recombinant DNA. You could truly call it the golden age of avarice in the toy industry. Star trek and wars. Universal monsters. Marvel and DC spreading their recombinant seeds all over earth. And don’t get me started on macfarlane. Too many toys. My wallet imploded from the strain. It got stupid. I quit cold turkey in 2002 and never looked back. Now I invest in land. My wallet was restored to health. Greedy toymakers killed the industry but at 48 years old I blame the tards who pay $7 for a 4.5 inch star wars jar jar binks. Shame on you. Give your money to the needy and homeless. These are poorly painted plasticfigures. And take them off the card. I sold my lot of crap… a 10 x 20 storage unit packed full… for a profit … and rarely but any toy unless its 2 for a $1 … and save your money for the impending apocalypse. Invest wisely. I will buy your crap for a nickel on the dollar. And you will thank me for it. Over produced mass marketed petroleum based shiite. I hate to poop on your collections but its badly mass stamped out crap. Suckers

February 4, 2011 at 9:23 am
(8) Reis says:

So… then… why, exactly are you frequenting an action figure collecting site?

March 2, 2011 at 9:45 am
(9) James says:

I used to love Toyfare and read it from the first issue. Going to to my local comic shop to find the new issue was something I looked forward to… for a time.

As a collector I found it to be a useful tool in the trade. The magazine was about TOYS. There was a price guide was about TOYS and Toyfare was full of articles and previews about TOYS! You see a theme here? It worked. Simple. Done. Wizard press was able to sell thier magazine and collectors and fans of toys had something tangible to aid in thier hobby.

But that must not have been good enough for Wizard because at some point the higher ups thought it was a good idea to cut back on the jokes (granted not everyones’ taste) then reduce the price guide before slashing it all together. Remember the price guide, useful thing it was? But they were not finished with bad management ideas yet. They reduced the amount of previews and even the articles. About toys at least. You could always read an article about custom making doll heads or whatever article was thrown in about the staff member of the weeks overall greatness! Hey look the editor wrote a book, so and so took a vacation..etc. Who cares? If you feel you personal life is that interesting thats what Facebook is for!

They took away everything that made Toyfare Toyfare and wonder why sales were dropping. So Gareb, when you load a gun, point it at your foot and pull the trigger you shouldnt be surprsised when your foot is gone. Dont ask “What the hell just happened?” and look for sympathy.

March 7, 2011 at 4:34 pm
(10) Ethan N says:

Weird. You’d think they would have sent out some kind of notice to their subscibers– and perhaps a refund? I purchased a subscription for some friends for Christmas and they never received a single issue. Not one. Where do I go to get my money back? I am disappointed by the loss of this magazine, but I have practical concerns as well.

March 8, 2011 at 9:27 am
(11) Reis says:

Sadly, Ethan, I am hearing this from many subscribers. If I hear word about subscription refunds, I’ll be sure to post it here. But unfortunately, I haven’t heard a peep about them, and I’m worried that folks are going to get stiffed.

March 8, 2011 at 3:09 pm
(12) Fred G Sanford says:

Does this mean that Golden Age Spidey isn’t coming back?

March 9, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(13) Drax says:

This sucks, I looked forward to getting ToyFare every month and now there will never be that looking forward to it, I say boooooooooooooo to Wizard for making this decision. My hope is that they will lose readers and that true fans of ToyFare will not even think about subscribing to the new crappy service that wizard is offering, and I would also hope that true fans will no longer read or subscribe to any wizard publications or attend any events put on by them.

March 11, 2011 at 8:19 am
(14) Pete says:

I bought every issue of Toyfare since the very beginning. It truly was the best Toy collector magazine. It will be missed.

April 1, 2011 at 9:59 am
(15) Denise says:

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY? I am an avid toyfare fan. I look forward everymonth to sitting down with my boyfriend and drooling at info and laughing at commentary. My dissapointment is immense!

April 1, 2011 at 11:29 am
(16) Reis says:

We feel your pain, Denise! :(

April 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm
(17) steve says:

Dang I’ll miss it….used to sit in B & N for a half hour looking thru it :(

April 5, 2011 at 10:55 am
(18) Reis says:

Do you see the irony here, Sreve?

April 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm
(19) Julie says:

My husband sent a subscription renewal feb 16 not knowing the magazine was cancelled Will he get his money back

April 5, 2011 at 4:00 pm
(20) Galv says:

I was searching for a new customer service number when I came upon reports of Toyfare’s demise. I had renewed my subscription for 2 years in January as a Christmas gift. If anyone hears anything about refunds please post!

April 6, 2011 at 10:01 am
(21) Reis says:

Sorry guys, I have no inside news on refunds. :(

April 7, 2011 at 11:12 am
(22) kknight says:

While I have to admit the magazine was treading water for quite awhile, I still say that it was a better “fanzine” than a lot of the stuff that is out there. I guess from a toy/comic/sophomoric humor fan’s perspective it will be missed, but If you collect, you got all the information that was coming out in the magazine off Internet fan sites before you ever saw it there.
The priceguide was interesting, but not useful. Ebay took that over.
I guess the biggest void will be in not having the laughs for the half hour or so it took to browse through.

May 4, 2011 at 4:05 pm
(23) Jorge says:

“not leave too many people saddened”?!?

Hey, dispite my subscripton for over 10 years, thanks for the notice jerks! Thanks for allowing your fans notice that there was an issue that would disrupt our favorite magazine and thanks for allowing the fans any opportunity to help. When you have a dedicated following you don’t just pretend everyhting is fine and dandy until the last second and then close your doors, you say, hey guys, unless things turn around, its by by time. And I don’t blame anyone at Toyfare mag or Wizard that is probably out of work, I blame the suits at the top that sit in a little room and figure how to protect thier own rears and the heck with everyone else. JERKS! And I mean much more colorful language by the way, so use your imagination!

May 7, 2011 at 5:13 pm
(24) Prime says:

Noooooooooo!! When an lady at boarders said wizard had gone belly up, I new toyfare was gone.. I’ve bought it since issue # 1, it has kept me in the loop for many things I like. Bring it back with a new #1, like many other mags(mostly comics, but still)!!

May 9, 2011 at 10:19 am
(25) Toyfare fan says:

Wow!!! That is why I could not find the April and may issues of
Toyfare; that truly sucks. I for one truly looked forward to my monthly newsstand run to get this awesome magazine for it action figures news, pictures, articles and movie updates.
R.I.P toyfare… You will be missed.

May 15, 2011 at 12:12 am
(26) weldon says:

what about my subscription?